3D Printing
In this post, I will be documenting about my experience on 3D printing. In this activity, I designed my object in Fusion 360, converted files to the desired file types, used Cura Slicer software, changed the printing settings according to my design, operated the 3D printer and printed out my design. Here is how I did it!
Contents of this post:
1. How the object was designed in Fusion 360
2. How the object was 3D-printed
3. Design files for 3D-printed object
4. Pictures and videos of the 3D-printed object
5. Reflection
How the object was designed in Fusion 360
After searching online for something to print out, I settled on a figurine that can dispense toothpaste out of it's mouth. Therefore, I made a Toad that can vomit out toothpaste. :) This is how the Super Mario Toad was designed in Fusion 360.
There are different parts to work on hence the instructions will be seperated into the respective parts:
Picture above is used as reference for desigining the object in Fusion 360.
Before designing we need to know the basic measurements needed for this object. The measurements I obtained from the toothpaste at home:
Bottom
Step 1: Download the reference image of Toad
Step 2: Open Fusion 360 and in Fusion 360, click "INSERT" --> "Canvas" --> "Insert from my computer..." --> select the picture that was downloaded previously --> "Open". When done, click onto the front plane to display the picture of Toad clearly.
Step 3: Left click onto the name of the picture and select "Callibrate"
Step 4: Click onto both sides of Toad's bottom and specify the length as 20mm. This makes the reference picture the correct size.
Step 5: Click "Create Sketch" --> Select the front plane --> Click "Center Diameter Circle" --> Make a circle with a diameter of 20mm. This will be the base of the bottom section.
Step 5: Click "Offset" --> Type in -2.5mm.
Step 6: Right click onto the name fo the picture --> Click onto "Edit Canvas" --> Move the canvas up by 16mm
Step 7: Click "Finish Sketch" --> Click "Extrude" --> Select the blue higlighted area in the picture --> Extrude to 8mm. This forms the bottom of Toad.
Step 8: Click "Create" --> Click "Thread" --> Select the blue highlighted area --> Change the size to 15mm. This creates the grooves to screw the object onto the toothpaste.
Head
Step 9: Left click onto the name of the picture and select "Callibrate". Click onto both sides of Toad's head and specify the length as 28mm. This will be the size of Toad's head.
Step 10: Click "Create Sketch" --> Select the front plane --> Click "Line" --> Draw a line from the middle of the head to the side of the head. There is no specific place to draw this line, just make sure that there is a small gap from the bottom.
Step 11: Draw a line from the same spot on the middle of the head to the top of the head.
Step 12: Click "Fit Point Spline" --> Trace the entire left side of Toad's head. Essentially connecting the side of the head to the top of the head.
Step 13: The outcome should look something like that. Click "Finish Sketch".
Step 14: Click "Revolve" --> Select the whole shape as the "Profile" --> Select the verticle line as the "Axis" --> Click "OK". This replicates the shape, creating Toad's head. Make sure the angle is at 360 degrees.
Step 15: Click "Create Sketch" --> Click "Centre Diameter Circle" --> Make a circle with a diameter of 10mm --> Position the circle so that if extruded it will be on Toad's head.
Step 16: Click "Finish Sketch" --> Click "Extrude" --> Select the circle for the "Profiles" --> Select "Object" for "Start" --> Select the whole head for "Object" --> Select "Join" for "Operation" --> Make the distance to -0.5mm. This forms the dot just on the surface of the head.
Step 17: Click "Create" --> Click "Patterns" --> Click "Circular Pattern" --> Select the dot for "Objects" --> Select the blue/Z axis for "Axis"
Step 18: Change the "Quantity" to 4. This will make 4 identical dots that are on the surface of the head.
Step 19: Click "Modify" --> Click "Move/Copy" --> Select the whole head (including the dots) --> Select "Free Move" as "Move Type".
Step 20: Tilt the whole head to an angle of 15 degrees.
Step 21: If there is a gap, move down the whole head until it touches the bottom.
Step 22: Click "Extrude" --> Extrude the bottom till it touches the head. This connects all the pieces together to form Toad.
Step 23: Click "Fillet" --> Click "Fillet" --> Select the blue highlighted area --> Fillet it to 1mm. This rounds the edge of the head.
Facial Features
Step 24: Click "Create Sketch" --> Click "Ellipse" --> Make an ellipse on the eye on the picture --> Replicate the shape and size. For my design, I positioned the eyes higher and more to the left to make space for the mouth.
Step 25: Click "Modify" --> Click "Move/Copy" --> Select the eye that was made earlier --> Enable "Create Copy" --> Click "OK"
Step 26: Click "Finish Sketch" --> Click "Extrude" --> Select both eyes as "Profiles" --> Select "Object" for "Start" --> Select the bottom as "Object" --> Set "Operation" to "Join" --> Extrude both eyes to -0.5mm.
Step 27: Click "Fillet" --> Select the edge of an eye --> Specify the fillet as 0.15mm --> Repeat this step for the other eye
Step 28: Click "Hole" --> Place the hole in between the eyes --> Set the diameter of the hole to 5mm --> Set depth of the hole to 5mm.
Step 29: Click "Press Pull" --> Select the blue highlighted area --> Pull it till it reaches the top of the hole
Step 30: Click "Extrude" --> Select the base of the bottom --> Extrude it to watever length designed. This is the length that will be screwed onto the toothpaste. My design was extruded to 1.5mm.
Optional
The colours used in my design are:
a) Red = Plastic - Matte (Red)
- for the head
b) White = ABS (White)
-for the bottom and dots
c) Black = Plastic - Matte (Black)
-for the eyes
Final Product
Why it could not be made subtractively?
Being made subtractively is when an object is made from cutting or carving a piece of material. While being made additive is when an object is made by adding layers onto layer, just like 3D printing.
Toad's head is round but is not a sphere so it may be difficult to be made subtractively if perfect details and shape is required of the final product. Additionally, Toad has little details like the dots and eyes that protrude out of the main figure. It can be difficult to be made subtractively if equal dimensions on all the details is needed, especially since the corners of the eyes and the head are rounded (offsetted) so it will be difficult for the details to be exactly the same when made subtractively. Lastly, there are threads in the bottom section of Toad that is unique to the toothpaste brand that an individual uses. Since there is only one end of the thread section that is open, the common method to make threads cannot be used (for reference: the common way to make bolts and nuts).Therefore, I believe that it will be difficult to make the threads if it is made subtractively.
How the object was 3D-printed
The workflow for printing out the object is:
a) Creating the object in Fusion 360
b) Converting the 3D design into a 3D representable file (STL or 3MF)
c) Slicing the 3D representable file (STL or 3MF) into layers using Cura slicer software
d) Converting the layers into instructions for the 3D printer (GCode)
e) The 3D creates the 3D object
Part (b)
Part (a) has been completed so now the file has to be converted. To convert, right click the name of the object in Fusion 360 --> click "Save As Mesh" --> select "3MF" as the "Format" --> click "OK" --> name and save the file. This is the VIDEO I followed for this part.
Part (c)
Importing the previously saved file into the Cura Slicer software:
1. Drag the file into Cura to import it
2. Select the object and change the Z-axis to 0mm to ensure that the object is on the bed and not in the air.
3. Drag the object to the center of the bed
4. Select the object again and click the rotate icon. Click the green axis until Toad is upside down. I opted for upside down so less support will be needed for the hollow area at the bottom which brings down the time needed and amount of filament needed. However, bed adhesion will be needed.
5. Specify the print settings
The print settings I used and set on Cura Slicer software:
In summary, only the infill density, print speed, support and build plate adhesion settings were changed. The rest of the settings follows the "Standard Quality" profile.
After specification of the settings are done, click slice and the estimated printing time will be presented at the bottom right of the screen. Mine was estimated to take 50 mins to print which is under an hour so I could go ahead with this design.
Part (d)
To convert the layers into the GCode that is readable by the 3D printer, click "Save to Disk" and name it accordingly.
Part (e)
Setting up the 3D printer to prepare it for printing of the objects. These are the steps taken to print Toad:
1. Turn on the main power source and turn on the 3D printer.
2. Place filament into the filament dryer and switch on the dryer by pressing one of the buttons at the front
3. Thread the filament through the hole in the dryer and cut the filament at an angle to make it easier to insert it into the machine nozzle.
4. On the display screen, select "Prepare" --> Click "Preheat PLA". Wait for the different temperatures to reach its setpoint before printing.
5. Select "Move" --> Change "Move Z" to 25mm by turning the knob and click on "Disable stepper".
6. When the nozzle end temperature is at the setpoint, insert the filament. To do so, press the lever and insert the filament through the hole. Carefully thread it through the gears and tube all the way until the nozzle. All this has to be done while the lever is being pressed. Some filament may come out from the nozzle due to the heat. get rid of the excess filament with a tool before printing.
7. Insert the thumbrdrive adapter with the SD card into the laptop with the GCode file. Transfer the file into the thumbdrive.
8. Take out the SD card from the adapter and insert it into the 3D printer. On the control panel, select "Print" --> select the file that has just been saved and press print.
9. Wait for the object to be printed out.
Design files for 3D-printed object
This is the embed file (original) for Toad in Fusion 360:
Pictures and videos of the 3D-printed object
Picture of the final product (with support and raft):
Picture of the final product (without support and raft):
Video of Toad in action:
Reflection
This was yet another fruitful experience that enabled me to learn a lot more than expected. We were tasked to design and print out our design using a 3D printer. When I first knew that we would have to 3D print our design, I thought that operating the actual 3D printer would be the hardest part as I have never used a machine like that before. However after having been taught and guided on how to use the 3D printer, I realised that the most difficult part of this whole experience was probably designing the object on Fusion 360.
When designing Toad, I have learnt quite a few new functions on Fusion 360. Functions like "Revolve" and "Fit Point Spline". I also learnt how to import a photo as a canvas to use as a reference picture when making Toads's head. Using "Fit Point Spline" was initially difficult as I had to trace one side of Toad's head. When one point of the line is made, the way the next point is placed will somehow affect the previous point. This took some time to get used to as sometimes when a point is placed, the previous point will go over the edge of Toad's head so it looked slightly weird and I would have to go back to correct that point. It was a hassle at first but I got used to it over some time and was able to trace nicely. Using "Revolve" was not difficult, it was actually quite cool when I first used it. With that function, I can "copy and paste" the initial half of Toad's head that I just traced to form one whole head. At first I thought that it was only 2 dimensional but when I orbited around I realised that the whole head was formed. I personally found this function very useful, it was simple yet effective. Hopefully, this new functions that I learnt can help aid me in the future when I have to use Fusion 360 again.
As I adjusted the settings in the Cura Slicer software, I got to see how the different settings affected the time taken to print out the object. For example, before I turned Toad upside down the printing time was an hour plus. But when I turned Toad upside down, the printing time went down to 45 mins. I believe this occurred as less support was needed for the object, which showed me the importance of tweaking the characteristics of object placement and orientation. However, bed adhesion (raft) was needed due to the little contact of the object with the bed. This caused the printing time to increase by a bit but it was still shorter than when it was the other way round and full of support.
After having printed out and using the 3D printer, I learnt about the different processes behind using the 3D printer. One of the things I learnt was that preheating was needed, preheating increases the temperature of the nozzle end and the bed to prepare for the printing. Initially, I thought that the heating of the nozzle was done during the printing where the nozzle will immediately heat up to melt the filament. Another thing I learnt was that the filament has to be placed in a filament dryer prior to the printing, even before placing the filament into the dryer it is already stored in a place that has little contact to open air. A filament dryer is needed to dry the filament off of any moisture that was absorbed when the filament was exposed to the open air. This occurs as the filaments are hygroscopic where they readily absorb moisture from the air around them. If the filament absorbs moisture and is used for a print, the 3D printed object will yield poor print quality or even fail to print and clogs at the nozzle may occur. Therefore, a filament dryer is important. Initially, I thought that the filament can just be placed on a rack and the printing can proceed but having learnt this I will be more careful in future projects that require 3D printing.
I realised that the top of Toad's head was a bit rough and out of shape as if someone shaved it's head, I believe that this happened due to my carelessness when detaching the actual object from the support and raft. As it was my first time doing this, I was not sure if there was any proper way to separate the pieces so I just ripped the parts apart. Looking back, I can tell why it is this bad. However, hopefully in the future this does not occur again as it affects the overall look of the final product.
When I was looking at my object after it has been printed out, I realised that the threads I added were not printed. I clearly remembered adding in the threads when designing on Fusion 360 but seeing that it was not printed out had me curious on the reasons why. Therefore, I started researching on the different reasons that could have lead to this outcome. When I was researching, I stumbled on this video. At around 3:06 of that video, the person explained that just using the thread option is not enough to have it be printed out as the thread is like a "visual representation" so when the file is saved as a file for 3D printing, the threads will not be "registered" into the file. Another step has to be done for the threads to actually appear on the body and be "registered" when saved as a file. Having just learnt this, I was pretty bummed out as I wanted the object to turn out perfect. However, this mistake was still a great learning step for me and made me realised I was partially at fault too as knowing that the thread functions on Fusion 360 were new to me, I did not conduct enough research before using it. This reminded me that I should be more careful when doing my designs to prevent myself from overlooking minor things that could have a big impact on the final result. Therefore, this mistake led to a few learning takeaways that can be quite important for me in the future.
After learning more about the thread functions on Fusion 360, I decided to put what I have just learnt to the test by correcting my mistakes on the original file. First, right click onto the thread option and select "Edit Feature". Next, select "Modeled". With this two simple steps, the threads on the object should be printed out. I have also embed the new and corrected Toad design below.
Overall, I really enjoyed this activity a lot more than I thought I would. It was really fun learning about the different parts of the 3D printer that each has its own function in making the machine work. I also enjoyed exploring the different options that can affect the result of the printing as well as the different functions made available on Fusion 360 (e.g. threads). I felt that it was important for me to learn how to use a 3D printer as I may have to use it for future school assignment or when I want to print something. Hopefully, I am able to apply this knowledge obtained onto the future projects that would require me to use a 3D printer. This have been an memorable experience that was full of obstacles but witnessing my object be printed made me proud and happy. Looking back, there were a lot of errors and areas of improvement that I could have done better. However now that I know of the mistakes, I will be sure to not make the same mistakes in the future.
New embed file (corrected) for Toad in Fusion 360:
References:
1. All3DP. (2019). Filament Dryer: Best Solutions. [online] Available at: https://all3dp.com/2/filament-dryer-all-you-need-to-know/#:~:text=Filament%20dryers%20are%20essential%20tools [Accessed 28 Dec. 2021].
2. www.youtube.com. (n.d.). Modelo 3D SETA mario en FUSION 360. [online] Available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysoyujLjlb8 [Accessed 20 Dec. 2021].

















Comments
Post a Comment